Published April 17, 2017
It’s that crazy time of the year again. Between Spring Break, kids wrapping up school, and the start of spring after school activities it seems like you’re always on the run. With always being on the go it is vital that you and your busy little ones are putting the right fuel in your bodies! Check out this easy snack that is perfect for refueling and makes a great alternative to stopping at the closest fast food joint. Enjoy!
Sunbutter & Jelly Sushi Rolls
Nutrient Highlight: Sunbutter is a great substitute for peanut butter if there is an allergy present or you’re just looking for an alternative! Protein from the sunbutter and the whole grains from the bread is the perfect mix to boost your energy and keep you full until your next meal! Sunbutter also contains the antioxidant vitamin E which fights inflammation and is great for your hair and nails!
– 2 Tbsp. Sunbutter (Any seed or nut butter can be used)
– 2 Tbsp Strawberry or Grape Jam
– 2 Slices Whole Grain Bread
Remove crust from bread and with a rolling pin flatten bread.
Spread 1 tbsp of sunbutter and 1 tbsp of jelly on each slice of bread.
Roll each slice into a tight spiral. Cut the rolled bread into 4 pieces
According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics planned, nutritious snacks are an important aspect of a child’s daily routine. The majority of young children and teens need to eat every three to four hours to meet MyPlate recommendations. Planned, healthy snacks help can kids maintain a healthy weight. A few tips to remember when it comes to snacking:
1) Wait a few hours after a meal and one to two hour before the next meal to offer a snack. This will help reduce skipping meals.
2) It is important that snacking is done in a controlled environment. When children eat all over the house it is hard to control what AND how much is being consumed.
3) Avoid letting children snack while watching TV. Studies have shown that watching TV and eating can lead to mindless eating resulting in eating too much.
Try introducing our new trail mix to your child’s daily routine! It is the perfect balance of healthy and fun. Filled with sunflower & pumpkin seeds, raisins, & chocolate chips it packs a nutritious punch with each bite. Sunflower & pumpkin seeds are filled with powerful protein keeping your kiddo full until the next meal! Raisins are rich in iron which helps move oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body, this is crucial for the growth and development.
Snacking, when done right, can be extremely beneficial to the health of your little one. Keep an eye out for our new Trail Mix making an appearance on a Snack Menu near you!