Published September 19, 2018
Here at Gourmet Gorilla, we are all about seasonality. Because we source our food locally, we purchase our food based on what is seasonally available in the region. This is what ensures that our meals are fresh, delicious and sustainable. Our seasonal menu is just one reason why we love Harvest of the Month.
Harvest of the Month celebrates a different in-season, locally grown food item each month. With over 100 recipes and fun facts to choose from, Harvest of the Month is a great educational tool that will help you and your child learn more about seasonal produce!
This vegetable is as tasty as it is healthy! Did you know that a half a cup of brussels sprouts contains more Vitamin C than an orange? Here are some fun facts that you can share with your student or child that are sure to make them excited about this cruciferous superstar:
1. They get their name from the fact that they were widely cultivated around Brussels, Belgium during the 16th century.
2. Sprouts contain high levels of vitamins A and C, folate, and dietary fiber.
3. Sprouts fan Linus Urbanec from Sweden holds the current world record for the most brussels sprouts eaten in one minute. He swallowed 31 on November 26, 2008!
4. When combined with whole grains, brussels sprouts make a complete protein.
5. Last year, a team of scientists and local schoolchildren used the energy from 1,000 brussels sprouts to light a Christmas tree on London’s Southbank (now there’s a science fair idea!).
If those fun-facts weren’t enough to pique your child’s interest, try this tasty recipe, brought to you by the Illinois Farm School and Harvest of the Month: