At Gourmet Gorilla we are continually working towards reducing waste. As a society, whether we are on the supply or demand end, we have a serious food waste problem. One small step in the right direction for us as consumers is to reduce food waste by recycling food scraps. There are so many great ways to reuse food scraps so think twice next time before throwing out those orange peels! Below we put together some great tips for putting common kitchen scraps to use.
Avocado Pits →
– Save your guacamole. Keep your guacamole from going brown by putting the pit in the dip.
– Dry, grind, and put them in a homemade face mask as an exfoliant or in a smoothie for extra antioxidants.
Broccoli Stems →
– Turn them into baby food
– Shred them in place of cabbage in coleslaw
– Freeze and add to stir-fry
Citrus Peels →
– Use lemon, lime or orange peels to infuse water
– Throw citrus peels in your garbage or garbage disposal to de-stink it!
– Infuse your vinegar with citrus to make cleaning smell nicer
Regrowth → save your stems and regrow your food scraps!
– Green onions
– Grind up eggshells and add to potting soil or sprinkle directly onto the garden. It will add a healthy dose of calcium to your garden to promote growth.
Let us know of any other scraps you use around the house!